Sunday 9 December 2012

The Old Fire Staition



The first weekend in December marked my first ever craft market.  I packed up my car and drove with my sister to Oxford and set up shop with The Hand Made Makers Market in The Old Fire Station.  I'm not going to lie, I was really nervous!  I've set up my table for Artists Book Fairs so many times I could perhaps do it in my sleep.  This time however, I left all of my books at home, replacing them with framed prints, newly printed and made cushions, Christmas cards and prints.

The lovely Michelle of Hand Made Makers got in touch with me to participate with this market and that was all I needed.  I was able to share tips of things to do and see in Amsterdam and felt like I already knew her by the time I got to Oxford!

The market was spread over 3 rooms, I was in the largest, almost central, room which was laid out in a circular way with the tables.  So many lovely stalls!  You can see the list of participants here.  I was really happy to be impressed with the standard of work for sale.  Everyones tables looked gorgeous and I got a fair bit of Sinterklaas/ Christmas shopping done as well.

The market itself was a bit quiet.  We're at a loss as to why and how this happened - any ideas?  Perhaps the location, perhaps there was another market on, perhaps we didn't hit the target audience with the advertising.  Whatever it was, it's not stopping me from returning to Oxford for future fairs!  I met some great people, both stall holders and customers and am very glad that I took the plunge and did this craft fair.

  


If you saw me at the fair and are interested in me doing a commission for you (or indeed if you didn't see me but still are!) then please do say hello or send an email to charlotte_vallance (at) hotmail.com and we can discuss what you had in mind.


A few lovely ladies who really stood out for me, thank you for your kind words and inspirational work!

Claire Munday - Beetle Cherry - www.beetlecherry.etsy.com - @BeetleCherry

Chloe - Wear Me Out - www.wearmeout.co.uk - @wmojewellery

Claire Gaudion - Textile Design & Guernsey Basketry - www.clairegaudion.etsy.com - @clairegaudion

Anashrita Henckel - Flair Creations - www.flair-creations.co.uk

  


No comments: